Keys and contract
CALL US ON 03332 404444
Phone 03332 404444

Owning your own home

Whilst most of our properties are to rent, there are some opportunities to buy a home, or own part of it.

Tenants who were secure tenants of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk Borough Council at the time of transfer of the council’s properties to Freebridge on 3rd April 2006 and have remained Freebridge tenants since then will retain the right to buy their homes, known as the preserved Right to Buy. This is subject to the exceptions where properties are exempt from the Right to Buy. The maximum Discount for this region is £84,600.

Please see this page on the Gov.uk website to find out if you have the Right To Buy, additional information and an application form are also available there.

Further guidance about Right to Buy/Acquire can be found here.

Tenants who were not a tenant of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk Borough Council at the time of transfer will not be able to exercise the right to buy, but may be entitled to the right to acquire. The discount for this region is £9,000.

Please note that you will not be able to exercise the right to acquire if the property you reside is in a designated rural area.

Please see the Statutory Instrument (Page 12), to see whether your home is in a designated rural area. If it is not then you can find additional information and the application form on the Gov.uk website.

From time to time, we also have Shared Ownership properties where tenants can buy a share or rent to buy a property. To find out more about this please visit the Help To Buy website.

Please note with every Right to Buy and Right to Acquire applications In order to prevent fraud we need to carry out Identity and Residency checks and therefore require the tenant to supply a copy for every applicant named one of the following:

Identity checks: (If you have one)
  • Full UK or EU driving licence including photograph
  • 10 year UK or EU passport with photograph
  • EU identity cards
  • Blue badge
  • UK identity card for foreign nationals/ residence permit issued by the Home Office
  • UK certificate of naturalisation.

(If you have no photo identity documentation, please supply a certified picture of yourself. This must be certified by a professional who is not related to you but has known you for at least two years)

    (If your name differs on your photo identification please provide supporting documents for the difference in name, marriage certificate, deed poll etc.)

    Also for Residency checks (dated from within the past 3 months and must contain your name, address, the date and not produced from internet):

    • P45. P60 or pay slip (received via post to you not electronically)
    • a current benefit or pension claim letter, book or card
    • a Utility Bill (gas, electric, satellite television, landline phone bill)
    • Council Tax bill
    • HMRC self-assessment letters or tax demand
    • Current UK driving licence (but only if not used for the name evidence and must have been issued within 3 months)
    • Bank, Building Society or Credit Union statement or passbook (received via post to you, not electronically unless printed by the bank and stamped by them)
    • Benefit book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency

    We only accept originals, documents printed from the internet will not be accepted.

    If buying with a Family member

    You may share the Right to Buy with up to three family members over the age of 18. They must be a spouse, civil partner or wider family member, but do not have to be tenants themselves. Wider family members must have also lived in the property as their main home for at least the last 12 months

    You will need to provide as detailed above and in addition to:

    • Valid (in date) Identity checks
    • Residency checks dated within 3 months of the application received date
    • Residency check that is dated 12 months prior to the application.
    • Proof that they are related to you – i.e. If niece or nephew we will need birth certificate of niece, her mother and yourself to link you all. You will need the Birth certificate of applicant and the Birth certificate of mother of applicant to link to tenant.

    Please provide the above information when submitting your application, until the above information is received your application will not be progressed.

    We must see the original for us to certify to be a true copy of the original for fraud prevention for our file, photocopies will no longer be accepted.

    Right to Buy/Right to Acquire

    If you feel you may be in a position to purchase your property there are two schemes available – the right to buy and the right to acquire.

    Freebridge have updated the terms under which both of these schemes work and the full details are available in a leaflet here.

    There a quite a few boxes that you need to tick but generally the right to buy applies if you have been a tenant since the transfer from the council to Freebridge in 2006. The right to acquire applies if you have been a tenant with us for more than 3 years. However, for the Right to Acquire, if you have been a public sector tenant for 3 years or more and part of that time was with another authority, we will contact you within 8 weeks to confirm whether your application has been accepted or denied.

    The right to acquire will only apply in urban areas and doesn’t apply to rural villages.

    For full details on exactly who is eligible to apply and how you can start the process either take a look at the leaflet or call us on 03332 404444 and request a paper copy.

    Get in touch:
    Email: enquiries@freebridge.org.uk
    Telephone: 03332 404 444 and ask for the Legal Team