Find your
Freebridge Home

"There are currently no homes available"

Applying for social housing with Freebridge

We are often asked about the process that must be undertaken to secure a Freebridge property.

Below is a guide that will explain everything for you – but please do note that the number of people on the Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk’s waiting list is currently far greater than the number of properties we have available.

Freebridge's role

One of the first things to understand is that the process of applying to be on the housing register, as well also the bidding and allocation process that follows, has nothing to do with Freebridge.

This is all facilitated by the Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk (BCKLWN), whose job is to decide which families/people are placed in our homes.

If you are successful in bidding and being allocated one of our properties, we then become your landlord and take over the process once you are in your new home.

Who can apply?

As per the guidance on the BCKLWN website, you can apply to go on the housing register if you're over the age of 18 and:

  • your annual income and savings are less than a third of the average property price in the area
  • you have a local connection (this means you have either lived in the borough for at least three of the last five years or have close family who have been living in the borough for five years or more)

Likewise, you may not be accepted onto the register if:

  • you're under immigration control
  • you've been asked to leave a previous property due to unacceptable behaviour

If you live outside of the borough, you may not be able to apply for a Freebridge house unless:

  • you're a member or previously serving member (within five years) of the armed forces
  • there are exceptional circumstances which require you to be in our area

If you have reached this point and still feel you meet the criteria, you should visit the BCKLWN’s website and read their social housing allocations policy here before reading the next step.

If you don’t meet the criteria, private renting in the borough may be your best option.

How to apply

If you are sure that you are eligible, you should feel free to fill in an application form online on the BCKLWN website – which should take between 30 minutes and an hour if you are well prepared.

Before you apply, you'll need to check you’ve got everything you need. As part of the application, you’ll be asked for:

  • National Insurance numbers for anyone over 16
  • all addresses you've lived at during the last six years (including postcodes), and the name and contact details for the landlord of the address(es)

You’ll also need to upload evidence that proves your circumstances, such as:

  • proof of identity for all household members
  • proof of household income
  • proof of the address you've lived at during the last six years

What happens next?

Once you have completed the application and provided all of the documents, BCKLWN say that it can take four to six weeks to hear from them.

If you are accepted, you will be put in one of three bands; low (adequately housed already), medium (e.g., you have been given medical priority to move) or high (e.g., you are homeless or your family is suffering from overcrowding at your current home).

You will also be given a reference number via email. This is very important, as you will need this to bid on available properties via Homechoice.

What is Homechoice?

Homechoice is a clear way of registering an interest to rent a home from Housing Associations such as Freebridge.

It is available for people who are accepted onto the housing register and is designed to give applicants a choice of where they wish to live, but to make sure those in greatest need are given the greatest priority.

However, being accepted onto the register does not guarantee an offer of accommodation.

So, how do I bid on Homechoice?

All Freebridge properties will be listed on the Homechoice site when they are available, and we will advertise them on our social media pages and website for your attention when they are available.

Please note, despite our role in the advertisement of these properties, we have no role in this part of the process. We will always advertise the properties but have no role in deciding which interested party has their bid accepted. Our role only begins once you have been accepted.

Properties are advertised weekly on a Wednesday and bids must be placed by noon on the following Monday. You can bid for available properties online, but your bid will not be considered if your circumstances do not match that given for the property.

If you have made a successful bid on one of our properties, we will contact you and you will need to let us know that you are happy to proceed. However, if you fail to respond to Freebridge’s contact it will likely be deemed that you are no longer interested, and your application will be cancelled.

You can register to be on the housing list, or view all current properties available to bid on by visiting:


Visit the King's Lynn Borough Council website:

Fixed term tenancies

For new Freebridge customers, we mainly offer fixed term tenancies. These are sometimes also provided for existing customers, for example, if existing customers move to a property with an affordable rent.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a fixed term tenancy?

This is a tenancy that will last a certain number of years and it is legally known as an ‘assured shorthold fixed term tenancy.’ This is unlike assured or lifetime tenancies, which allow tenants to remain in the same property for life.

Why are Freebridge using them?

We offer fixed term tenancies so that Freebridge customers can have the most appropriate home for as long as they need it. We aim to provide different housing options for customers when they need them, and by reviewing tenancies more frequently we are able to do this.

If you have any questions, please contact us on 03332 404 444 and press option 4 to speak to the Lettings team.

We use cookies for marketing analytics