Getting started in your new home

Here is a handy guide on the main things you will need to do when you have collected they keys to your new home. 

You will be provided with a sign up pack so you are able to refer back to any important information for the future.

The Welcome Booklets that you will be issued with when you move into your new home can be found below:

We also have a leaflet that shows what you can and can't have in our communal areas.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I set up my electric / gas supply account?

When you have been given the keys to your new property you will need to set up an account with your electric and/or gas supplier. To do this, please have the gas / electric meter readings to hand.

An information booklet can be found in your pack, detailing how to read your meter (PCL Energy Services Guide). 

Your supplier should be Southern Electric and you will need to ring them to set up your new account, please call Southern Electric on 0800 117 116 to do this.

If Southern Electric are not supplying your property then you can find out who is by calling 08701963082.

You can change to a different supplier if you wish. provides you with easy access to a comparison of 100% green energy tariffs. With self-isolation measures and remote-working restrictions.

For more information about Green Energy Switch, call 01733 646253 or email [email protected].

If you have a pre-payment meter you will need a key to top up credit on your meter. Southern electric will give you details on where to collect your new pre-payment key from.

You will need to arrange a new key even if there is one there already as the old one may have debt on from the previous tenant.

If you do not have a meter then Southern Electric will give you options on how to pay.

I’ve just moved in and I don’t seem to have any Gas, what should I do?

Gas supplies are capped when a property becomes empty so your gas will need to be reconnected to the meter. You will not be able to use your gas until you have followed the steps below.

1. Set up your accounts and confirm you have a gas and electric supply to the property (your supplier can confirm this).

2. Top up all pre-payment meters in the property with a minimum of £5.

3. Call Freebridge on 03332 404444. We will then arrange an appointment for your Gas supply to be uncapped.

If any of the above steps are not complete or if access if not given for the appointment then you may be charged for this.

Can I have a pet?

Freebridge understands the positive impact of owning a pet. The majority of pet owners are responsible and provide good care for their animals. Irresponsible pet ownership can cause nuisance, anti-social behaviour, damage to the property and affect the welfare of the pet.

We have a few words of advice about pets in your home and communal areas and the pets of visitors to your property. Hopefully this guidance will answer any questions you have, but if you need further help please contact us before taking ownership of a pet.

My Home Contents Insurance

Why do I need it?

Freebridge do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

My Home Contents Insurance Scheme

Freebridge have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. My Home Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

My Home Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

The Thistle Tenant Risks Team are here to help!

Thistle now offer a call back service so that you can speak to their customer service team at a time that's more convenient for you. If you'd like to make use of this handy service, please fill in your details at the link below and a member of their team will be in touch.

Request a call back

Reasons to choose the my home contents insurance scheme

  • Apply over the telephone or complete an application form.
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks.
  • Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest).
  • Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000).
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible.
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen (up to £500).
  • You don’t need to have special door or window locks (just a lockable front door).
  • Flexible regular Pay-As-You-Go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge).

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Great Lakes Insurance UK Ltd. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording, which you should read carefully. The premiums and payment methods available are shown on rate card here. Please note fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction change.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact Thistle Tenant Risks who will be happy to help with your queries.

How do I get further information?

If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can do so by completing an application form or by calling Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288. Alternatively, visit for more information.

Prior to completing the application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement and Insurance Product Information Document. These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover. Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

The premiums and payment methods available are shown on the rate card here. Please note fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction change.

What to do if you have a complaint

It is always the intention to give You the best possible service but if You do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim You should follow the procedure. A copy of Thistle Insurance Services complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information, view our complaints page

The National Housing Federation working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

It is important to protect your belongings and your Landlord suggests that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance, however there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

We use cookies for marketing analytics