Owning Your Home

Whilst most of our properties are to rent, there are some opportunities to buy a home, or own part of it. (See our Shared Ownership page).

Right to buy

Customers who were secure tenants of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk Borough Council at the time of transfer of the council’s properties to Freebridge on 3rd April 2006, and have remained Freebridge customers since then keep the right to buy their homes. This is known as the preserved Right to Buy.

The maximum Right to Buy discount for this region is £87,200.

There are a small number of properties which are exempt from Right to Buy, meaning even if you have the right to buy, it isn’t possible to buy it. We can let you know if this applies to your home.

If you are interested in Right to Buy, you can find out more information and an application form below.


Right to Buy with family members

You may share the Right to Buy with up to three family members over the age of 18. They must be a spouse, civil partner, or wider family member. Wider family members must have also lived in the property as their main home for at least the last 12 months

You will need to provide information for our identity checks.

For full details on exactly who can apply and how you can start the process either take a look at our leaflet or call us on 03332 404444 and ask for a paper copy.

More Information

Right to buy

View Document

Right to acquire

Customers who were not a tenant of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk Borough Council at the time of transfer will not have the right to buy. But you may have the right to acquire.

If you have been a public sector (housing association or local authority) tenant for three years or more and part of that time was with another local authority, we will contact you within eight weeks to let you know if your application has been accepted or denied.

The Right to Acquire discount for this region is £9,000.

If your property is in a designated rural area, you may not be able to use your Right to Acquire. Please see the Statutory Instrument (Page 12), to find out if your home is in a designated rural area.

If it is not then you can find additional information and the application form on the Gov.uk website.

Please note with every Right to Buy and Right to Acquire application, in order to prevent fraud, we need to carry out identity and residency checks.

Further guidance about Right to Buy/Acquire can be found on the Gov.uk website.


Statutory Instrument




Right to buy/acquire

Shared Ownership

From time to time, we also have Shared Ownership properties where customers can buy a share or rent to buy a property. Link to shared ownership page.


Shared Ownership

If you have any questions please call us on 03332 404 444, hold the line and ask for the Legal team.

We use cookies for marketing analytics