Taking in a lodger

If you have a full assured tenancy with Freebridge, you have the right to take in a lodger. This does not apply to some other types of tenancy - please ask us for more details.

If you decide to take in a lodger you must consider the following points:

  • You must let us know
  • Taking in a lodger mustn’t cause overcrowding in your home
  • If you claim Universal Credit or other benefits, you must contact your local council to let them know
  • Your lodger will not have a tenancy agreement with us
  • You will be responsible for legally evicting your lodger if you want him/her to leave.
More Information

Taking in a lodger

View Document

Homes for Ukraine

We all want to support those who have been forced to flee their homes because of the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.

If you are wondering what you can do to help and support those affected, then you could donate to the Ukraine Emergency Appeal or if you have a spare room, you can apply to be part of the Government’s Homes for Ukraine Scheme.

Freebridge Community Housing's Homes for Ukraine Scheme Guidance:


  • Step One – get in touch: 
  • Step Two – get guidance: Visit Homes for Ukraine: sponsor guidance to get guidance and register your interest.
  • Step Three - keep in touch: let us know how your application is progressing. Once you have passed your accommodation check, contact us to get permission to host a lodger by contacting [email protected]
  • Step Four – keep us updated: let us know when new members to your household arrive so we are aware of who is living in your home.

Other things to know

  • The Government will make a thank you payment of £350 a month for hosting guests in your home from Ukraine. This does not stop the need for you to pay your rent as normal, and you must not charge your guests any additional rent.

  • If you’re claiming Universal Credit or housing benefit it’s up to you to make sure you have let the Department of Work and Pensions or local authority know. 

  • If you are a single person claiming a council tax allowance, you may also need to inform your local council tax department. 

  • Please remember, people who come to your home from Ukraine might be going through a significant level of trauma. Their lives have been turned upside down and they could be experiencing grief for friends and family. While there is no legal requirement for you to help them with things like registering with a GP or getting a job, please do support them with small daily tasks or potentially helping them understand English if you can. Please be patient with them while they adjust to their new lives. 

We use cookies for marketing analytics